You are here: AWASS 2012 Homepage
Sunday 10th June – Saturday 16th June 2012, Edinburgh, UK
Arrive by Sunday 10th June night for an early Monday morning start. There will be a welcome party on the Sunday night at 7-8 pm for introductions.
Everyone needs to be present on Friday 15th afternoon for team presentations and there will be a party afterwards (which we hope everyone will stay for). Saturday 16th June is a travel home day, with people leaving when they want.
This is an active and participative summer school with great social events and networking opportunities included. You will learn a lot and have great fun!
Aimed at graduate/PhD students, and researchers from different disciplines, this summer school will cover theoretical, practical, and technological issues related to autonomic self-awareness and its various facets. Managing systems is increasingly becoming more challenging. Different devices, heterogeneous platforms and different programming models can now be connected into a single system, and devices are increasing in technological complexity. These factors not only make systems unmanageable but lead to systems exhibiting unplanned behaviours. To counter this, systems must become self-aware, exhibiting context-awareness at an internal and external level.
- Self-organising and self-adaptive systems
- Pervasive computing technologies
- Security and socio/economic aspects of autonomic computing
The Summer School activities will include:
- Keynote talk by Maarten van Steen
- Presentations by Alberto Lluch Lafuente, Jim Torresen, Andrea Guazzini, Jon Timmis, Giovanna di Marzo, Serge Kernbach ( view details here )
- 4 case studies for the team assignments), one for each of the Awareness projects (Andrea Vandin for Ascens, Jose Luiz Fernandez for Sapere, Arjun Chandra for Epics, Andrea Guazzini for Recognition)
- PhD poster session
- Plenty of opportunity for mentoring and workshop activities
- Team presentations and feedback
REGISTRATIONS ARE NOW CLOSED.
The registration fee is 420 British pounds sterling charged in GBP and is approximately equivalent to 500 Euros, including accommodation. The registration fee includes:
- access to all summer school lectures and tutorials
- all presentation slides
- single room accommodation for 6 nights
- meals and coffee breaks
- the summer school welcome reception
- and the farewell dinner
Bursaries entitling a 50% reduction
Awareness is also offering bursaries worth 210 British pounds sterling, the equivalent of approximately 250 Euros, which means a 50% reduction on registration fees. These are available on a first-come, first-served basis and allow you to register for the 2012 Awareness summer school at half price. You will be given a voucher code to register for only 210 GBP (approx. 250 EUR), including accommodation and all meals. This is an extremely good offer and early application is recommended, as these places are expected to expire before the bursary application deadline of 31 March 2012.
Program Coordinator: Nivea Ferreira (email@example.com)
Ass’t Program Coordinator: Willem van Willigen (firstname.lastname@example.org)